About the Association of Dogs and Cats Homes
The ADCH promotes best practice in animal welfare for
dogs and cats. Our members are dedicated to dog rescue
& cat rescue.
incorporates registered charities and not for profit
organisations of all sizes. Our priority is to ensure that
rescue dogs and cats get the best possible chance of new
loving and caring homes.
A Code of Practice booklet has
been compiled and is promoted by the Association of Dogs and Cats Homes. It aims to raise standards amongst animal rescue organisations that care for dogs and cats
with the overall aim of enhancing their public respect.
The Code sets an agreed minimum level of care afforded to dogs and cats kept by rescue organisations and is made up of the following chapters:
- Animal Welfare - Good Practice, Animal Housing, Bedding, Temperature, Lighting, Ventilation, Cleanliness, Litter Trays, Routines, Exercise, Grooming, Supervision, Disease Control, Feeding Equipment & Storage, Emergency Action, Veterinary Care, Transport of Animals, Behaviour Modification, Training of Animals, Euthanasia & Welfare Legislation
- Rehoming Practices - Animal Assessment, Owners Assessment, Permanent Identification, Neutering & Owner Support
- Legal Requirements - Proper Legal Structure, Bank Accounts, Animal Welfare Legislation, Health & Safety, Staff Care/Equal Opportunities Statement & Insurance
- Starting a new Charity - Questions to ask before setting up a charity
- Administration - Records & Staff Training
- General Animal Acts
- Useful Contacts
code of practice here.